It has been a while since my last post. There are days when it feels right to just sit back, shut up and appreciate life’s simple pleasures. So, this weekend was one of those dedicated to food, family, friendship, fellowship and fun.
The July 4th weekend has also become an important milestone in my life since it is the anniversary of the start of my 2nd stem cell transplant. Thanks to the Grace of God, four years later, I’m still being granted the privilege of continued life. Nothing is better at putting into perspective the greatness of God and the simple pleasures of life. The nature of our existence dictates that for every feeling or emotion that one goes through on any given day or period, there will be an opposite one lying in waiting somewhere in the future. During moments of doubt, fear, and pain we push through and endure and hopefully in the end we have acquired more hope, faith, love and strength to prepare us for the next go around or whatever comes next. In the meantime, life goes on.
So, this weekend as I enjoyed the company of family and friends, I couldn’t help thinking about the simple pleasures of my life. These are the things that although simple, provide me with so much joy. Here are a just a few of mine:
- Chewing the mint leaves after drinking a cold glass of mojito.
- The sound of rain hitting the windows when I’m in bed.
- Singing karaoke with family and friends, none of whom can sing.
- Christmas Hallmark movies.
- Carmel popcorn with peanuts while bingeing on Christmas Hallmark movies.
- Backyard BBQs and themed parties.
- Clowning around with my guys.
- Double scoop ice-cream sundaes, Jamoca Almond Fudge scoop on the bottom, Pistachio Almonds on top, with peanuts, strawberries, and whipped cream completed with a cherry on the top.
- Cleaning the house from top to bottom then sitting back and admiring my handy work.
- Listening to old love songs.
Simple pleasures, complete joy, what are some of yours?